Breast Biopsy in Springfield, OH
A breast biopsy is a procedure used to observe the tissue of the breast by removing a small sample for additional testing. This procedure is often conducted if there is suspicious activity within the breast tissue that can be detected during an examination like a mammogram, ultrasound scan, or self-examination.
Why Are Breast Biopsies Done?
- You or your doctor find a lump or thickening in the breast that raises concerns about breast cancer.
- Your mammogram shows a potentially worrisome area in your breast.
- An ultrasound or breast MRI uncovers a suspicious finding.
- You observe unusual changes in your nipple or areola, like crustiness, scaling, dimpling of the skin, or a bloody discharge.
Types of Breast Biopsies
There are several different ways in which your breast specialist can complete a breast biopsy. The particular biopsy chosen will depend on the size, location, and characteristics of the abnormality within the breast. These breast biopsy methods include:
- Core needle biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy
- MRI-guided core needle biopsy
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Surgical biopsy
What to Expect
Each of these breast biopsies are relatively simple and do not require anything more than a mild numbing agent to prevent the patient from feeling any pain. The individual will then be able to return home within the same day with only mild discomfort near the incision site.
Tissue samples usually average to be the size of a grain of rice, unless the patient is undergoing a surgical biopsy to remove the entire breast mass in question. Additional anesthetic and resulting stitches may be required if the mass is of significant size.
Preparation for a Breast Biopsy
It is important to understand all of the different kinds of breast biopsies in order to determine which one is best for you. Make sure to discuss all questions about the biopsy with your doctor, and notify them of any allergies or medications that could interfere with the procedure.
Schedule a Consultation
To speak with a breast specialist of Mercy Health Springfield/Urbana General and Robotic Surgery about your breast biopsy options, please call our office at (937) 717-4884 today to schedule an appointment.