Heartburn & Acid Reflux Treatment in Springfield, OH
Occasional heartburn is common in adults and should not cause alarm. Heartburn is caused by an irritation of the esophagus by stomach acid. Despite its name, heartburn has nothing to do with the heart. Seeking medical care for heartburn should be considered when heartburn is more frequent and interferes with a person’s daily life.
Call (937) 717-4884 to schedule a consultation today.
Symptoms of Heartburn
A common symptom of heartburn is acid in the stomach that refluxes into the esophagus and causes pain. Symptoms of heartburn tend to be more prevalent after large meals and this pain can worsen when lying down or bending over. Many people can mistake the burning sensation behind the sternum or breastbone as a symptom of a heart attack.
When to seek medical care:
- Heartburn occurring on a weekly basis.
- Symptoms continue while taking over-the-counter medications.
- Chest pain is experienced while laying down.
- Experiencing acid fluid in the back of the throat that causes a burning sensation.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Persistent nausea and vomiting.
- Weight loss due to poor appetite or difficulty swallowing.
Common Causes of Heartburn
Common foods we eat and drink can stimulate increased stomach acid resulting in heartburn. Examples of foods and drinks that can cause heartburn are:
- Carbonated Drinks
- Acidic Juices (Citrus Drinks, Pineapple Juice, and Apple Juice)
- Acidic Foods (Tomatoes, Chocolate, Grains, and Sugar)
If you are experiencing the symptoms of heartburn, your doctor may suggest antacids for the treatment of the occasional heartburn. In more serious cases, stronger medications may be needed.
Your physician may also suggest lifestyle changes that may help ease your heartburn symptoms, such as:
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Avoiding foods that trigger your heartburn.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoiding lying down after a meal.
Schedule an Appointment for Heartburn Treatment in Springfield, OH
If you are suffering from heartburn, contact Tedros Andom, MD today at MercyHealth Springfield/Urbana General and Robotic Surgery for any additional questions you have about treatment. You can call our Springfield Office at (937) 717-4884.